Uber – the Ride Sharing company – recently introduced UberPool, a new way to share the ride by pooling with someone else. Not all countries supported by Uber is having this feature yet.
Lucky enough Singapore is one of the countries where UberPool service is available. As I’m quite often using Uber services for my transport needs – mostly during late night when I need to go back quickly to home – I do have this question in mind, why would I want to share my ride with someone else? And that’s why last Friday, out of my curiosity, I gave it a try and experienced it myself. In short, UberPool will give you fixed price to your destination and cheaper compared to the normal UberX.
However there are some caveats in using UberPool, while you get fixed price and cheaper fare, what Uber didn’t tell you about its UberPool service is that, in my case:
- I need to wait for about 10 minutes before my ride coming – reason being is that UberX driver is searching for another passenger nearby/along the way
- Along the way if there are another passengers with the (almost) same destination, then UberPool will pickup these persons. If you are lucky, the other passenger picks up point is on the same way to your destination, but in my case, the driver need to re-route quite far enough to pick up the other passenger. I was just wondering why Uber took this passenger to come with me, re-routing to somewhere not towards my destination. But then moments later, I figured out why Uber did this. Turned out the other passenger wanted to head to the same destination area as me. That’s about another 15 minutes to pick-up other passenger without much traffic.
- On the arrival to destination, consider myself lucky enough, Uber chose to deliver me in the first place – at that point I was not really sure whether it was because my destination was closer compared to the other passenger, or it’s because based on pick-up sequence: FIFO – First In First Out.
Anyway, in total I need extra ~30 minutes to reach my destination with UberPool. So based on my experience as an UberPool passenger, use the UberPool service only if you are okay with the following conditions:
- You are not in a hurry or rushing to your destination
- Cost is your main concern where public mass transport is not an option – roughly I can say UberPool is about 20% cheaper than normal UberX
- You want to get a chance to get to know the other passenger (chit-chatting, networking)
For new Uber Sign Up
If you are new to Uber, curious about their service and want to give it a try yourself, you can get a FREE ride for your first ride with Uber (well max is $10 off), simply by keying in the following promotion code:
Download the app, then start your Uber app > Go to Promotions > Tap on Add Promo Code.
Alternatively, you can click below link:
You get yourself a FREE ride (max $10), I myself also get $10 from Uber with you using my promo code.
For list and/or quick review of iOS & Android FREE APPS, FREE GAMES and/or FREE tips & tricks and latest iOS & Android news, visit below: