- This tutorial give the steps to enable you to play Final Fantasy IX (FF9) on your iPhone running on latest iOS.
- This tutorial though intended for iPhone, but works the same for iPad as well as iPod Touch. So any references to iPhone on this article also means applicable for iPad or iPod Touch and any references to iOS on this article also means applicable to iPadOS.
- For other interesting articles related to gaming, check it out here Xbox, PS5, Nintendo Switch, other gaming, iOS, Tech or more at JILAXZONE.
- If you find this article / content inside is already obsolete, do let me know by commenting on the comment section below so that I can update the article to reflect the latest process/news. Thanks.
At the time this article is written, Final Fantasy IX (or FF9 in short) is not compatible with iOS 14.5 and up. So if you happen to read this and have not update your iOS to the latest (iOS 14.5 or up), then please hold the update if you wish to play FF9 on your iPhone or iPad – play and complete FF9 first before updating to iOS 14.5 or up. Otherwise if you have updated your iOS to iOS 14.5 or up, you’ll be getting this message: “The developer needs to update this app to work with iOS” error.
The main reason on why you are getting “The developer needs to update this app to work with iOS” when opening FF9 on iOS is because of recent changes made by Apple related to privacy. Apple now requires developer of apps and games to provide the “App Privacy” information as well as to prompt users asking if they want to be tracked.
Knowing from multiple social media and forums that typically Square Enix is slow-to-death when it comes updating games, so the intention of me writing this article is to provide you – who wish to play FF9 on iOS device – a workaround to be able playing it on your iPhone or iPad. The workaround may not be ideal nor perfect for many of you, but if you follow this workaround, you’ll be able to play FF9 on your iOS device.
Here’s how to play Final Fantasy IX on iPhone with iOS 14.5 or up
Again I have to warn you before proceeding below, that the workaround provided in this article may not be ideal nor perfect for many of you, but if you follow this workaround, you’ll be able to play FF9 on your iOS device.
FF9 was originally a PlayStation 1 (PSX) game, so the workaround here is to install retro games emulator that can emulate PlayStation 1 (PSX) games on iPhone and iPad.
1) Computer with iTunes installed and access to the Internet
2) Lightning cable
3) Final Fantasy IX game for PSX
4) 30 – 60 minutes of your time
The high-level steps are these:
1) Install Provenance on your iPhone / iPad. Provenance is retro-games emulator for iPhone and iPad and can run on the latest iOS.
2) Transfer Final Fantasy IX game for PSX into your iPhone / iPad.
In case you need the full details on each and every steps to install Provenance and to transfer the Final Fantasy IX game, head into this link: Installing Provenance – Retro Games Emulator for iPhone and iPad at JILAXZONE. Don’t worry, no jailbreak is required.
I do NOT in any way encourage piracy, treat this workaround only as educational purpose and while waiting for Square-Enix to officially update the FF9 game. Please always RESPECT the Game makers, Developers, Publishers by always buying and playing the originals. Without you supporting them, there won’t be any good and great games in the coming future.
In case you have difficulties in any of the steps provided, don’t hesitate to ask for help on the comment section down below, I’ll be happy to help.
Do you have anything you want me to cover on my next article? Write them down on the comment section down below.
Alternatively, find more interesting topics on JILAXZONE:
JILAXZONE – Jon’s Interesting Life & Amazing eXperience ZONE.
Hi, thanks for reading my article. Since you are here and if you find this article is good and helping you in anyway, help me to spread the words by sharing this article to your family, friends, acquaintances so the benefits do not just stop at you, they will also get the same goodness and benefit from it.
Live to Share. Share to Live. This blog is my life-long term project, for me to share my experiences and knowledge to the world which hopefully can be fruitful to those who read them and in the end hoping to become my life-long (passive) income.
My apologies. If you see ads appearing on this site and getting annoyed or disturb by them. As much as I want to share everything for free, unfortunately the domain and hosting used to host all these articles are not free. That’s the reason I need the ads running to offset the cost. While I won’t force you to see the ads, but it will be great and helpful if you are willing to turn off the ad-blocker while seeing this site.